Sunday, July 31, 2011

Telling the most important person

We told D this week about Thing 3. I felt like we had to because I am showing and I REALLY didn't want her to find out when somebody (who has no idea how scary a subsequent pregnancy is) walked up to me and said, "When is the new baby due?". We told her that she would always be Reid's big sister but that there was now another baby who we hoped would come home and live with us. I showed her the little snippet of video on my phone that I snuck out of the U/S clinic after the NT scan. Then she wanted to see pictures of herself in mommy's tummy which lead to looking through the one album of printed pictures we have of her. (We do have thousands of pictures, they are just all digital files on the computer). Then D surprised us by saying she wanted to see pictures of Reid in mommy's tummy too. Well I wasn't about to say no to that, so I went and got the album I made for him and she went all the way through it. She even looked at the pictures taken of Reid after he died although she got a little confused about them. (I think she has an idea that "dead" looks different but she couldn't explain herself.) Going through that album with her made D.G. cry, but I was just so happy that she asked to see the pictures of Reid and that she does think of him as part of our family.

5 comments:

Dana said...

I love that D asked to see Reid's pictures.

Lisa said...

It's so difficult, isn't it? My daughter doesn't really understand, I don't think. She thinks that Adelyn is going to come back or something. Sigh. I wish....

Alissa said...

I have been so far away from blogland...I'm sorry, my friend. But congratulations all the same. What beautiful news to share with D. I love this post. ((hugs))

Missy said...

How precious! Thinking of you and sending love~

Merry said...

Of all of mine, only Josie really actively big sisters Freddie. I love that she does.

If our nuchal goes okay next week, we give ours the big news. There are going to be tears.